Specialists have been aware of the caries-inhibiting properties of the substance xylitol for more than 30 years. More than 300 studies have been published to date on the effect of xylitol in connection with caries bacteria. However, the protective properties of this product have so far been rarely communicated to the general public which means that many people are still unaware of these properties.
Xylitol reduces the formation of plaque which promotes the formation of caries, also known as cavities, – because this is precisely where the caries bacteria can be found. These produce acids as a waste product of digesting sugar for energy, and these acids attack the tooth, forming caries. Xylitol, in contrast, prevents caries bacteria from digesting, thus lowering the metabolic activity of these microorganisms.
1. Proven growth inhibition of caries bacteria in the mouth
2. Reduction of dental plaque
3. Remineralisation of the enamel
With its caries-inhibiting effect, xylitol is, as it were, a perfect ingredient for toothcare products. In combination with fluoride, it forms a second effective building block and means of acting against caries (cavities, tooth decay). For this reason, it is very sensible to use xylitol in toothpastes and in oral care products. The next time you buy toothpaste, pay attention to tooth-friendly pastes with xylitol. The longer toothpastes containing xylitol remain in the mouth, the better the caries-inhibiting effect. Consequently, you should pay attention to the recommended cleaning time of at least two minutes. This ensures the best possible protection for your child.
Shopping advice for toothpastes with xylitol
- A high xylitol content (at least 10%) makes sure that the xylitol is effective; the xylitol content should be stated on the packaging.
- Look for a toothpaste with mild cleaning substances and with a low abrasion value.
- With its children’s toothpastes sold under the nenedent® brand, Dentinox® has developed a number of toothpastes that meet all children’s needs with their high-quality ingredients:
• Xylitol content 13%
• Silica-gel abrasives with an abrasion value suitable for children
• Free from preservatives
• Available both with and without fluoride
Dentinox® N teething gel also contains xylitol thus ensuring that the even the first tips of the teeth are protected as they erupt.